The ABC in Australia took a light-hearted look at a serious problem – the 1 billion disposable coffee cups that go to landfill in Australia.
The answer is the Palm Caffe Cup – each could save a the tram full of disposable coffee cups.
- Up to 1 billion disposable coffee cups per year in Melbourne go to landfill.
- They cannot be recycled as they are made from a paper coated with plastic
- Consumes are generally unaware they cannot be re-cycled
- So called compost-able cups are difficult to compost and need a dedicated separation system
- Cafes have little incentive to make their customers aware because up to 40% of their revenue comes from take-away coffee.
- Converting consumers is only part of the battle – there is a need to get cafe’s on-board also.
- Some cafes are offering a discount if you bring your own cup